Thursday, 27 December 2012

John Martin




The 19th century painter John Martin successfully created a number of images that depicted themes of destruction, death and religious narrative in a striking way. His use of colour and scale within his pieces allowed him to depict incredibly powerful imagery based on a number of stories from in and around the bible. Within his more apocalyptic pieces the result is an unsettling sense of doom, something which I would love to incorporate within my own work. His use of atmospheric perspective and the ability to depict great landscapes with amazing depth is something I find very inspirational. When this is coupled with the uncomfortable atmosphere captured within certain scenes the result is incredibly moving. I hope to be influenced by these pieces for my pre-production module and for the work I complete in my future career. 

No comments:

Post a Comment